A college graduate holds up a diploma and cap.

GI Bill®

"GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill."

As a veteran, you and your family may be eligible for educational benefits under the Montgomery GI Bill® (Chapt. 30), The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve (Chapt.1606), Survivors & Educational Assistance (Chapt 35), the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program (Chapt 31), or the Post 9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008 (Chapt. 33). 

The Office of Veterans Services (OVS) can help you navigate your military education benefit, including applying for benefits, providing information, and serving as a liaison between you and the VA Regional Processing Office. Our dedicated administrators are here for you!

GI Bill® Application

Apply for your GI Bill® benefits using www.va.gov.

For ease of completing the application, have the following information available:

  • Personal information, including Social Security number
  • Bank routing and account numbers
  • Physical Address: University of Pittsburgh, 4200 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15260
  • Dates of service, if applicable
  • If you have your DD214, you can upload it as part of your application

GI Bill® Processing

Each term, you must complete an enrollment certification request form in order for your GI Bill® education benefits to be processed. It is important to complete this form in a timely manner to ensure your benefits are not delayed. You must report to OVS all changes, including changes in credits, course withdrawal, incomplete grades, and change of major and address.

Yellow Ribbon Program

The University of Pittsburgh is NOT a yellow ribbon school and does not offer yellow ribbon funding to anyone.

In-State Tuition Rates

If you are eligible to use GI Bill benefits and can provide a VA Certificate of Eligibility that states "approved" to OVS, you will be adjusted from out-of-state tuition rates to in-state tuition rates. 

PLEASE NOTE:  When we adjust you to in-state rates, this will likely reduce any aid or scholarship you may be receiving.  This isn’t because we are substituting your aid/scholarship money with VA entitlement.  (Doing so goes against federal guidance.)  Rather, this is because the percentage of Expected Family Contribution (EFC) rises (i.e. tuition drops as EFC remains static).  Please see the DISCLOSURES tab for additional information. 

Transfer Credits

Veteran students who have completed military basic training are eligible to receive 4 transfer Co-Ed Physical Education credits. While these credits are not required for every degree at Pitt, they are a boost for those degrees that require these credits.

Forms (PDFs)

New Student Enrollment Certification Form

Continuing Student Enrollment Certification Form

Other Resources

Summer Full-Time Rates: Credit and Monthly Housing Allowance Questions (for official credit requirements, contact the VA at 1-888-442-4551)

W.A.V.E. verification for Chapter 1606 students

eBenefits site for managing all veteran benefits

Chapter 36 Education and Career Counseling