University of Pittsburgh


How do I determine my eligibility for military tuition benefits?

Eligibility is determined by the VA Regional Processing Office in Buffalo. You may apply online, have a form sent to you, or pick one up at our office.

I have just applied to receive my Montgomery GI Bill education benefits for the first time.  When will I receive my first payment?

The VA will send your Montgomery GI Bill education benefits directly to you, the student.  It may take up to 12 weeks for the first payment to arrive, but the payment will be retroactive.  At Pitt, we understand that delays in the administration of your benefits may cause you to be late in paying your tuition bill. Therefore, if you are unable to pay your tuition on time, Pitt will waive the late fees normally assessed.

I will be working full-time while studying.  Is it possible to complete my degree at Pitt? 

Yes, many students combine full or part-time work with their education.  The University of Pittsburgh offers many classes that meet at night or are offered in an online or hybrid format, allowing for added flexibility in scheduling. Classes are also offered in several satellite locations, which may be closer to your home or workplace. 

I’m not sure what my major should be.  Can I talk with someone about my options? 

Yes, we would be happy to help you.  If you still have questions after reviewing the Pitt Web site, please contact us to schedule a pre-college planning session.

I already have a bachelor’s degree.  Can I still use my military tuition benefits? 

Yes, you may use your benefits in any degree program at Pitt, including master’s, doctoral, and professional degree programs. 

What should I do if I decide to withdraw from a class or change my enrollment?

If you are receiving GI Bill benefits and voluntarily withdraw from a class or change your enrollment, you must notify our Veterans Certification office. Changing from full-time to part-time status may affect the amount of your benefits.  Full-time status is defined as 12 or more credits per term.

If you withdraw because you are called up to active duty, you need to provide a copy of your deployment order to the Office of Veterans Services. In addition, we will do whatever is required to help students who have been called up to active military duty transition out of the University as expeditiously as possible. In most cases, we will arrange for you to drop the term’s registration so you will owe no tuition for the term and receive no grades. In rare cases, there will be exceptions to this procedure, depending on personal and/or financial factors. We will be happy to work with you in order to help you make the best decision based on your situation.  Please contact:

Ron Slater in the Office of Student Appeals
Phone: 412-624-7668

Are there any clubs for military personnel and their families?

Yes. For a complete list, check our community section.

I do not have military tuition benefits. What other financial assistance is available for Pitt students?

Degree-seeking students attending the University of Pittsburgh may be eligible for scholarships and financial aid, including loans and work-study jobs, to help pay for tuition, books, and living expenses. For information on these opportunities, please contact the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid at 412-624-7488.

For answers to questions not addressed above, please contact us via e-mail at or by phone at 412-624-3213.

GI Benefits

For answers to specific questions about your GI Benefits,
please visit the Department of Veterans Affairs' Questions and Answers page.